History – Fishmarket And Shambles
A market house was erected c. 1820 by the Corporation of Cloghnikilty to accommodate the fish sellers. In 1833 a shambles (meat market) was erected at the rear of the market house. The Shambles contained 14 butchers’ stalls, a milk shed and a weigh house.
The combined stench from all these activities necessitated the building of a wall to separate the market from an adjoining school house.