History – The Quays
The following is a description of the Port of Cloghnikilty in 1810:
“There are four large quays at Cloghnikilty, each of which has several lighters constantly at work during the summer months. The proximity of the ocean, though not attended with all the circumstances that favour other maritime situations is, however, of prime and permanent importance. The tide flows up to its quays navigable for small sloops and lighters and though the great accumulation of sand at its mouth renders ingress and egress often difficult and sometimes dangerous, the harbour is, at high water, accessable to brigs and sloops and when attained, a station of perfect security.
The channel from the harbour to the town, the distance of which is about a mile, has received some improvement lately and is capable of much more. The trade of the port consists chiefly in the export of corn and potatoes, large quantities of which are annually sent to Cork and Dublin. The returning vessels bring goods of various kinds occasionally, chiefly those of a ponderous nature, as bricks, earthen-ware.”
Lewis’ Topographical observes in 1837: “14 lighters of 17 tonnes burden each regularly employed in raising and conveying sand to be used in the neighbourhood as manure.”