History – Emmet Square
Emmet Square was laid out between 1785 and 1810 in the Georgian fashion. It was created to accommodate the wealthy merchants of the growing and prosperous town of Cloghnikilty. They called this place Shannon Square in honour of the Earl of Shannon, lord of the borough.
The young Michael Collins attended Clonakilty Boys’ National School from Oct. 1903 to Feb. 1906. During this time he lived with his sister Margaret and her husband Patrick O’Driscoll and their children. The O’Driscoll family lived at No. 7 in this Square from the close of 1902 until March 1905, when they moved to Clogheen on the southern edge of the town. Patrick O’Driscoll was the owner, editor and publisher of a local newspaper called “The West Cork People”, published from July 29th 1905 to January 25th 1908.